; movieschocolatebooks: American chocolate -Ghirardelli and Hershey

Pages

Monday, August 11

American chocolate -Ghirardelli and Hershey

So, if I am gonna play the sophisticated European in the States, I might as well start with chocolate. Next week, I am on for the cinema and I have already bought myself a copy of Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi, a must have of the modern woman.

I know I should have given San Francisco a chance, but I got impatient and craving for chocolate. To be honest, I went for the familiar stuff, partly due to cultural fatigue, partly due to my undying passion for Lindt. And then, back to sophistication- I tried Ghirardelli Gourmet Milk. It is a nice-looking, branded bar that again, it is too thin for a happy heart. One of the oldest companies, Ghirardelli was started back in the mid-1800s by a man who thought about sweetening the dark faces and kind hearts of the miners of California. Now, this is what I would call a visionary with a sweet tooth.

So, there are plenty of things to try, unimaginable mixtures and combinations that kind of leave you speechless and always on the lookout for the girly figure you pretend to still have at...a certain chocolate-prone age. Now, back to Ghirardelli Gourmet Milk- Sea Salt & Almonds Milk Chocolate Bar. It is rich and creamy, crunchy due to the roasted almonds and the salt. It never leaves you much choice or time to ponder on the flavours because it is gone in no time. As a rule, American chocolate is sooooo sweet as are the rest of the products, but the almonds' roasted taste and the tiny pieces of salt rebalance the whole matter. The Sea Salt & Almonds Milk Chocolate Bar makes an harmonious treat for sore eyes and longing hearts. Still, having tasted it already shall not dissuade from going to the San Francisco Chocolate Festival in September. Now, how is a girl to resist a two-day chocolate celebration of the senses?

And then, back to the second all-American flavour. I came across this one back in Europe and refrained myself from tasting it since I knew I could really go here for the original Hershey's milk bar. It is one of the most famous bars in US, yet to me, was too swept for my own good. I instantly felt like drinking a lot of water. It made me think of childhood sweets. It also hides a trace of bitterness and the texture is really nice and soft, provided you enjoy sweet, sweet, sweet chocolate. I can understand why people here are fond of it since even bread has sugar in it. Then again, oversweetness and air conditioning are not going to make me less sophisticated, but rather anxious to try new flavours and things about the American culture. So, until my San Francisco trip, dream sweet in whatever language keeps chocolate among its most popular words!

Post a Comment